Sunday, May 27, 2012

REPOST - 50 Shades of Tracy

OK, its in the news a lot. It was even spoofed on SNL. It is a force to be reckoned with. I can no longer ignore it.

Do I give in? Become Slave to that Master? Is it really all its hyped up to be?

You know what? It doesn't matter. What DOES matter is the attention it's getting. That is something I can wrap my marketing brain around. The mere fact that people are talking about it means that it is successful. Regardless of the story or the quality of writing. Certainly food for thought.

It also typifies the dramatic change in the publishing industry. As I work with Paul and Alex to get my first novel ready for the market I am struck by just how lucky I am. Just short two years ago this prospect was just a distant dream. Yet today I can publish my book, by myself (with A LOT of help), and make a name for myself. How successful that is still remains to be seen, but it is at least an attainable dream now.

So, thank you and all your shades of grey, for being loud and bold and breaking through the traditional publishing barriers to make it easier for countless aspiring authors to have a chance.

-t

No comments:

Post a Comment